- Library: Orrington Public Library
- Town: Orrington
- Library Type: Public & School
- Position Type: Non-MLS
- Deadline: September 20, 2019
Job Openings at the Orrington Public Library
Description, How to Apply, and Contact:
Orrington Public Library, located in Orrington, Maine, is currently accepting applications for part-time library Assistants.
Incorporated in 1788, the Town of Orrington is located at the southern tip of Penobscot County, nestled between Brewer and Bucksport on the mighty Penobscot River.
Although predominantly a rural and agricultural community, Orrington maintains a distinct multi-village environment, with clusters of rich development surrounded by great natural resources including the Penobscot River, Brewer Lake, Fields Pond, Swetts Pond and several streams.
Come join our team during an exciting time in our community’s history. As Orrington has continued to grow, our library also has grown into a busy and vibrant hub in the center of our town. Our Library Assistants are the vital face of this small but active library.
The position requires a person who enjoys reading and sharing their love with others. You will need to be flexible with your weekly shifts, as evening and afternoon shifts will be assigned. You may also be needed to cover extra busy times during programs, after holidays, or staff absences. Because we are partly a school library, the successful candidate for library assistant must pass the Criminal History Records Check through the Maine State Police & DOE finger printing (paid for by the applicant after accepting the position).
The ideal candidate will have outstanding customer service skills, a great sense of humor, be energetic and very detail-oriented, tech savvy and an expert multi-tasker. Previous library experience is a big plus!
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Serving patrons via face to face interaction, computer, internet, phone.
- Communicates clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, including making public presentations as needed.
- Using library software to register patrons for library cards, check in and check out library materials.
- Shelving returned materials in an accurate and timely nature, as well as regular shelf-reading.
- Processing Interlibrary loans, both outgoing and incoming deliveries (running lists, retrieving the materials, checking them in, packing and unpacking, and preparing items for pick up)
- Cleaning/repairing library materials as needed, and processing and preparing new materials,for addition to the collection.
- Answering and rerouting phone calls.
- Participating in meetings and workshops to maintain and develop skills.
- Performing opening and closing procedures.
- Working during school hours on occasion .
- Must enjoy working with children and teens’ and possess knowledge of children’s and teen behaviors. Must have a background and comprehensive knowledge of children’s and Young Adult literature.
The position requires physical agility and strength to bend, reach, lift and carry up to 35 lbs. The ability to stand for long periods of time performing tasks at a computer workstation is required.
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled and interviews will begin immediately. To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and town application to Kelly Bay, Director of Orrington Public Library, at Orringtonlibrarydirector@gmail.com
Deadline to Apply: September 20, 2019